PC_2023_E_02 - Public Consultation on the ACER Decisions on proposals for a harmonised cross-zonal capacity allocation methodology and RCCs' tasks of sizing and procurement
ACER received the Transmission System Operators’ (TSOs’) and ENTSO-E’s proposals:
- for the harmonised methodology for cross-zonal capacity allocation for the exchange of balancing capacity or sharing of reserves (16 December 2022);
- for the Regional Coordination Centres' (RCCs') tasks of regional sizing of reserve capacity (17 March 2023); and
- for the RCCs' tasks of facilitating the procurement of electricity balancing capacity (17 March 2023).
ACER’s decisions on these proposals should facilitate the integration of balancing capacity markets, create welfare and lower procurement costs of balancing capacity while ensuring security of supply.
Why we are consulting
ACER assesed the proposals received and revised them where necessary in order to ensure their contribution to market integration, non-discrimination, proper functioning of electricity markets, and their compliance with the Regulation on the internal market for electricity and the electricity balancing guideline.
Together these three proposals aim at integrating national balancing capacity markets with the use of cross-zonal capacities. The aim is to lower the costs of procuring electricity balancing capacity while ensuring security of supply. This can be archieved by reducing the overall balancing capacity needs and by lowering the procurement cost of that balancing capacity which needs to be procured.
For taking an informed decision on these proposal, considering their impact on stakeholders, ACER invited interested parties to share their views.
- Regulation (EU) 2019/942 of 5 June 2019 establishing a European Union Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators.
- Regulation (EU) 2019/943 of 5 June 2019 on the internal market for electricity.
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/2195 of 23 November 2017 establishing a guideline on electricity balancing (‘EB Regulation’).
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1485 of 2 August 2017 establishing a guideline on electricity transmission system operation (’SO Regulation’).
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2015/1222 of 24 July 2015 establishing a Guideline on Capacity Allocation and Congestion Management ('CACM Regulation').
- TSOs' submission of the HCZCAM Proposal (including an explanatory document).
- ENTSO-E's submission of the Sizing Proposal (including an explanatory document).
- ENTSO-E's submission of the Procurement Proposal (including an explanatory document).
- Public notice HCZCAM proposal.
- Public notice RCCs' tasks proposal.
- Privacy statement.
- ACER Decision No 11-2023 on the TSOs’ proposal for the harmonised cross-zonal capacity allocation methodology
- ACER Decision No 12-2023 on the Regional Coordination Centre Regional Sizing of Reserve Capacity Methodology
- ACER Decision No 13-2023 on the Regional Coordination Centre Regional Procurement of Balancing Capacity Methodology
Responses and Evaluation of Responses
ACER decided on all three proposals in July 2023.
ACER held a workshop on Wednesday, 19 April 2023.